Tuesday, 14 February 2012

First Post

Feb. 14th

Liz H-K has kindly set me up with a blog to give people updates on how things are with Mike. As most of you know, Mike has had a tough fall with 2 major surgeries, 3 months on the catheter and a couple of trips to Emergency. He handled it all gracefully and stoically but it took a lot out of him. He was doing pretty well over Christmas and New Year’s and enjoying lots of time with friends and family, but he was very tired and complained of headaches. On February 8th he was admitted to Emergency and since then has had many tests and seen many excellent specialists. We are particularly grateful for the excellent care and attention that Kim Waterman, a very skilled neurologist and a fine friend, has given.

Here’s how things are as of today: The CT scan of the chest showed a mass arising from the right main bronchus. It seems that the details of the whole situation are such that the chance that this is lung cancer as a primary, with all the other trouble metastatic, is very high, almost certain.

Mike’s doctor has explained that lung cancer comes in squamous, adenocarcinoma variants which are not very treatable. There is another type called small cell, or oat cell which can have a very good response to chemotherapy, including brain symptoms. It still unfortunately is not curable. However, the pulmonary physicians felt that because there is this potentially treatable situation, that he should have a biopsy.

Mike had the bronchoscopy yesterday and so now we are awaiting the results of the biopsy. We are, of course, greatly hoping that it’s the “right” kind of cancer. In any case, I hope that I will soon have Mike, and Victor, back at Bradley and that he may even be able to have some visits to Protection.

Carol is staying healthy, starting every day with a bowl of oatmeal, then taking Mike a cappuccino and chocolate croissant before going for a morning swim. She is spending most of the day at the hospital but also going out for dinner with friends. She has renounced alcohol so that she can stay clear, grounded and focused, and is trying to get as much sleep as possible.

Mike is good-natured throughout, although sometimes a little confused about where he is or why. Still he jokes with the doctors and nurses and is in pretty good spirits. He is having occasional visitors, one at a time, but at the moment can only have one or two a day and only for short visits. If you want to visit, check with Carol first.

We both really very much appreciate all the support from family and friends, and we’re both doing pretty well under the circumstances. It’s hard to reply to everyone individually but you are all in our thoughts and our hearts are full of gratitude.

So it carries on, day by day.Une étape à la fois. Poco a poco. Or pole, pole.

Thanks to all for the wonderful support.

Carol and Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment